This is one of the biggest questions on the minds of many budding entrepreneurs. What are the best products to import from China? What types of products from China will give them the highest profit margins or highest sale volumes?
In reality, the answer to this question really depends on you and your specific situation.
In fact, there is no such thing as "the best products to import from China." What you need to find out are which are the product that suit you best. That is, only you are able to find out what this product is after you have conducted a sufficient amount of research and brainstorming. What products are you interested in? What products are knowledgeable about? What products would you be confident about regularly writing about on your Shopify website/online store, and regularly coming up with new content for?
Therefore some of the relevant questions to ask are:
In what field do you have interest and knowledge?
What can you offer your customers? How can you provide better service?
Do you have the necessary infrastructure to transport the product? (visit CNXtrans if you need a China Shipping agent)
Therefore, you need to make a basic business assessment. Do not try to invent something new but look at someone who has already made a profit and found a way to improve the service he or she offers. Do not think you can compete only on price, as that is generally difficult for small importers
Nevertheless, here is a list of the top ten most imported products from China:
1. Electrical machinery, equipment: $557.1 billion (26.3% of total exports)
2. Machinery (including computers): $344.8 billion (16.3%)
3. Furniture (including bedding, lighting, prefab buildings, signs: $89.5 billion (4.2%)
4. Knit or crochet clothing, including accessories: $75 billion (3.5%)
5. Clothing, accessories (excluding knit or crochet items): $72.8 billion (3.4%)
6. Optical, technical, and medical apparatus: $67.9 billion (3.2%)
7. Plastics and associated items: $64 billion (3%)
8. Vehicles: $60.4 billion (2.9%)
9. Iron and steel products: $53.1 billion (2.5%)
10. Footwear: $47.8 billion (2.3%)
In our opinion and experience based on what our customers are shipping, here are some of the best products to import from China: 1. Electronics , 2. Building materials , 3. Clothes , 4. Furniture and 5. Toys
A couple of things to note if you're a small startup business/entrepreneur importing from China:
Avoid OEM / Customized Products
Products that are highly customized requires higher MOQ requirements. This is simply because the supplier has to purchase components and materials from a larger number of subcontractors. Each subcontractor has its own MOQ (Minimum Order Quantity) requirements and this can quickly add up to an MOQ that you cannot reach.
Instead of importing an OEM product (custom designed) you can purchase a “standard product” and achieve customization through branding, such as the following:
· When starting off, only ask for simple modifications (if any) from your suppliers as this will result in low or no MOQ increase. This includes logo print, different cutting, adding accessories, customized product packing, custom color
· Don’t attempt to buy too many products from too many different suppliers
· Avoid products that require certification
· Avoid highly customized products
· Brand an existing product as your own
· Invest in quality and pitch yourself as a medium to high end brand. Enjoy higher profit margins and don’t try to compete on price with the big players on the market
Need a China Shipping Agent to help you consolidate and ship internationally from China?